An Illinois family have filed a lawsuit claiming that an Xbox 360 sold by a Wal-Mart overheated and caused a fire that led to the death of the family’s infant son.
Microsoft, Wal-Mart, and the currently unnamed power-supply manufacturer have been named as the defendants.
Wal-Mart filed a motion Wednesday to move the $50,000 suit from state to U.S. District Court. Microsoft has only recently learned about the incident.
The suit was originally filed in December 2006 and because the accident happened in 2004, an Xbox 360 could not have been the cause. Even so, the family may have mistakenly called the system Xbox 360.
In 2005, Microsoft recalled more than 14 million Xbox power cords due to fire concerns.