A new Xbox One system update is planned for later today, Microsoft has confirmed. The update addresses a number of issues involving SmartGlass, multiplayer, and dashboard performance. Below are the full update notes, courtesy of Major Nelson:
- Addresses SmartGlass issues for some users when coming in and out of connected standby
- Addresses multiplayer issues for some users when re-joining games
- Addresses issues with inconsistent notifications for some users
- Addresses dashboard performance for some users
- Offers improvements for Xbox One’s TV, system update, and content update services for scaling over time
- Updated wireless networking driver to improve connectivity issues for some users
According to Major Nelson, the update is expected to roll out at 5:00pm PT (8:00pm ET). And because the update "works a little bit differently than what fans are used to on Xbox 360," he has oultined a few things you should expect.
A. If you are using the Xbox One “Instant On” (the low power state that allows you to instantly power up your console by saying “Xbox On”), your console automatically checks for updates when it you turn it off. Once we make the update available (on Tuesday, December 10th, 5:00 PM PT) this means the following will happen:
- Your console will automatically download the update after you turn it off. Once the update has been downloaded in the background, your console will power completely down. Please note: You will need to manually power your console back on after the update has been downloaded. Because the update will power your console completely down, the “Xbox On” voice command won’t be available until after the update is fully installed.
- When you turn the console on you’ll see the update being applied. After that, your Xbox One will reboot. You’ll know the update is installing when you see the Xbox logo on the green background (like at the top of this post.) This can take anywhere from 2-5 minutes. Once the update has finished installing, you’ll boot to the Home screen and you’re all set.
- Don’t worry, if you are out of town for the holidays, you console also does regular checks for updates and will download it in the background even if you have not used you Xbox One in a couple of days.
B. If you are not using the Xbox One “Instant On” feature, you will be required to download and apply this update after Thursday, December 12th at 4:00 PM PT.
Microsoft apparently has "quite a few updates" planned for the next year based on community feedback. While Major Nelson didn't elaborate on that, you can get a good idea of the types of changes fans want over at Xbox Feedback.