Hypersect's INVERSUS may quietly end up being one of the best indie games of 2016 when all is said and done. The game offers up a unique mechanic it refers to as negative space combat which involves the strategic use of walls that are used to both travel and block off an opponent. When a player fires off a shot, it flips the color of the block, which opens up a path for the enemy and closes off a path for you. It's this rhythm that you have to use to navigate your way to victory.
Here are the game's main features:
- Online and local multiplayer (1-4 players)
- Gameplay-first design focused on an original mechanic
- Over thirty unique maps to play on
- Competitive battles in 1v1 and 2v2 modes
- Fight for the world record in single-player and cooperative multiplayer arcade modes
- A constantly changing board makes every game a fresh experience
- Rewarding for both strategy and skill as you balance spatial control with quick reflexes
For those who are interested in the game's soundtrack, you can pick it up over on Bandcamp, Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon. INVERSUS is available now on PC and PS4 and retails for $14.99. The game is currently running a 10% launch discount on Steam and for PS Plus members.