The Kingdom Hearts series is truly an acquired taste. What started out as just a collaboration of Disney characters and worlds with Square Enix icons, soon evolved into an extremely convoluted story that spanned multiple systems, and numerous spin offs. The latest Kingdom Hearts game coming to the Nintendo 3DS hopes to tie up some loose ends, as well as serve as the opening to a grand conclusion. It's currently slated for a 2012 release date, although the exact date has not yet been revealed.
The game will feature new worlds which we can all get excited for, but some "never-before-seen gameplay elements" for the series.
“With the tenth anniversary of the series on the horizon, the current KINDGOM HEARTS saga is approaching its climactic conclusion. The story of this game will serve as the opening chapter of the final conflict, and, as always, will be full of surprises. In order to best implement this element of surprise and discover new realms of possibility, we have chosen Nintendo 3DS as our platform. With its revolutionary new game system, this title will not only be a bold, exhilarating tale of adventure, but also a first look into the future form of the KINGDOM HEARTS series,” said Tetsuya Nomura, director of KINGDOM HEARTS 3D [Dream Drop Distance].
The story will feature both Sora and Riku as playable characters, and their journey to becoming true Keyblade Masters by going through the Mark of Mastery exam, previously seen in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.
Some of the features include:
- Dual protagonists – Play as the two most popular characters of the franchise, Sora and Riku.
- “Free-flow” action – Enjoy fast and effortless movements while interacting with the environment and performing acrobatic attacks.
- Brand-new creatures –Dream Eaters inhabit the Sleeping Worlds, and are split into two categories: Spirits and Nightmares. Recruit over 50 different types of Spirits as allies to fight alongside Sora and Riku.
- New Disney worlds –Beloved Disney worlds and characters, such as La Cité des Cloches (The Hunchback of Notre Dame), make their series debut.
- Story progression – With updated looks for Sora and Riku, and the impending conflict made clear, this title is a big step forward in the series.