A surprising twist for April 2016 has Nintendo's Star Fox: Zero breaking out onto the top 10 game sales, according to The NPD Group, despite its mixed reception. Star Fox is joined by Minecraft and Grand Theft Auto V, two games that seemingly never leave the list.
Regardless of how well the games sold in April 2016, they couldn't even come close to Mortal Kombat X's release in 2015:
“Despite some record-breaking new launches, there were poor comparisons to the release of Mortal Kombat X in April 2015. Mortal Kombat X was a strong launch last year — its April 2015 sales exceeded that of the entirety of all April 2016 new launches by 18 percent.”
– NPD analyst Liam Callahan
Before you look at the chart, you should be aware that NPD's data is scewed towards physically purchased games. NPD only tracks a portion of the gaming industry, focusing solely on phsyical items sold in the United States from large retailers.
- Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
- MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
- Tom Clancy’s The Division (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Minecraft (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3)
- Quantum Break (Xbox One)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Star Fox: Zero (Wii U)