After some "technical faults" led to the removal of the PlayStation Vita's update, Sony has officially announced the System Software update v.1.66 is once again available for download.
You will be prompted to download the update if your PS Vita is online.
In addition, Sony has noted other features that are also included in this update. Below are all of the features included in the 1.66 update today.
- [Notification Alert] setting added to Settings > [Sound & Display]
- [After 10 Minutes] option added to Settings > [Power Save Settings]
- An arrow icon is introduced to show when PS Vita finds new activities in LiveArea.
- The Caps Lock icon in the On-Screen Keyboard can now be fixed to allow a continuous string of upper case text.
- The [System Music] setting in Settings > [Sound & Display] now affects BGM in PS Store, near and Sign-Up screens as well as the Home menu.
- When searching for location data, users now have the option to ‘Retry’ and ‘Cancel’ when a failure occurs.
- A progress bar is introduced for application installation.
- A direct link to PlayStation Store is made available for new applications that users may discover on near.
- Users can now update data at any time within near, provided they are within the same location.
- The display time of notification alerts has been reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
- Functional improvements have been made in the following games and applications: Unit 13, Gravity Daze, near.
To update the firmware on your PS Vita you can follow these steps:
- Select “System Update” under the “Settings” menu and download the firmware directly to your PS Vita over Wi-Fi.
- Connect your PS Vita to a PS3 or a PC/Mac and update via Content Manager.