After a two week delay, a new snapshot has been released for Minecraft. Snapshot 12w01a, the first update of 2012 for Minecraft, was released today and lead developer Jens Bergensten has listed the new features on the official Mojang blog.
This week's snapshot has the following changes:
- New language translations. We changed from using Google Docs to a new system, so these may still contain a lot of errors or missing texts. Please check the Minecraft forums (language section) for more info.
- Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
- Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
- Decreased randomness of Enchantment Tables
- Changed colors of spawning eggs to more represent the mobs they spawn
- Made biomes slightly more varied (hills in forests and deserts, beaches)
- Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
- Removed collision box from ladders
- Updated fence gate collision box to align with fences
You can download snapshot 12w01a here:
- Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w01a/minecraft.jar
- Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w01a/minecraft_server.jar
In addition to the changes in this week's snapshot, Jens and new developer Jon continue to prepare work for the mod API. They did ask for some patience, as the API is going to take some time to implement properly.
New developer Jon, who was brought on towards the end of last year, is working on improving the AI for mobs to make it easier for them to addnew behaviors. THe first goal is to add breeding support tow olves, and then move to more useful/interesting villagers.
Last week, Jens informed fans that they had begun to work on AI stuff for mobs. The early functions will be subtle, but will serve as the foundation for bigger and better changes for the NPCs and mobs in Minecraft.