Maybe it's just me, but am I the only one underwhelmed by July's free PlayStation Plus games? Announced today, this month's lineup includes four gmaes playable on PS4, but none of them are AAA-caliber. Sure, a lot of folks seem excited for Rocket League, a fast-paced arcade game combining cars and soccer, but it just doesn't do it for me. I'll try it because it's free, of course, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But overall, I'm majorly disappointed in Sony's offerings for July. For the first time in a long time, I think Microsoft's Xbox Games with Gold has trumped Sony's PlayStation Plus.
Here's what will be free for PS Plus members in July on PS4, PS3, and Vita.
- Rocket League (PS4) : A futuristic action-sports game where players pilot rocket-powered vehicles in an enhanced version of soccer.
- Styx: Master of Shadows (PS4): A stealth game with RPG elements that tasks you with guiding Styx through the winding Tower of Akenash.
- MouseCraft (PS4, PS3, PS Vita): A "smart" puzzle-adventure in which you must help a group of mice in their relenteless quest for cheese, guiding them to their goal by stacking different types of Tetromino's along their path.
- Entwined (PS4, PS3, PS Vita): Witness the tale of a bird and a fish who are in love but can never be together. Test your reflexes and hand-eye coordination skills to guide them both simultaneously over the course of nine unique lifetimes in a journey to unite their souls.
- Rain (PS3): An invisible boy, visible only by the silhouette in the rain, embarks on a journey to save an invisible girl behind hunted by ghostly creatures.
- Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS Vita): The same game released on PS4 is now coming to Vita with new 3D grids, challenging new boss battles, and more.
They aren't bad games, per se, but just a bit underwhelming — especially after being treated to Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes in June.
The new lineup of PS Plus games will become available for free on Tuesday, July 7th, at which point we'll say goodbye to June's free games.