Microsoft has announced that beginning today select Xbox LIVE members are being invited to preview new features coming to Xbox One in the March system update and future updates as well. Selected particants will receive a message through Xbox LIVE with a code to register, asking them to provide "valuable feedback" before the updates are implemented worldwide.
According to Microsoft, the next system update will begin rolling out next week for selected participants to preview. Once registered, you'll be granted access to a private forum to provide feedback on the features.
"The team is working hard to deliver some exciting updates in March that will make Xbox One even better. But in order to ensure our customers have the best experience on Xbox One and Xbox Live, we need the help of our passionate community," Microsoft frontman Larry 'Major Nelson' Hryb says.
While it's unclear what future updates entail, the March update (aka pre-Titanfall update) will "significantly improve" the multipalyer and party experiences on Xbox One. To that end, you can expect the following changes and features:
- Get to your friends list faster. The friends list will be front and center on the homepage of the Friends app. Click the Social tile on Home, or say “Xbox, go to Friends” to see who’s online and what they’re up to. From there you can quickly send messages and get into a party.
- Party chat will be turned on by default. When you party up, chat audio will be turned on by default.
- Chat with friends playing different games. Party chat will be separated from people playing your game, so you can chat with your friends who are online or you can chat with everyone playing the game.
- We’re adding an “Invite friends to game” option to your multiplayer titles moving forward. Similar to Xbox 360 titles, this will appear inside a games’ menu and offer a simple and quicker way to set up your multiplayer battles. Selecting “Invite friends” will let you invite friends to your game and party.
- We’re adding “Recent Players.” This is a simple list that shows you Xbox Live members you’ve recently played with, making it easier to stay in touch with people, or add new friends after your multiplayer battles.
"We’re counting on our fans to share their input as we’re putting the final touches on the new features that we plan to deliver in early March," Hryb adds. "Thanks for helping make Xbox One even better. We look forward to hearing your feedback on the system updates whether you are participating in the preview or not. We love to hear from you."
The update is expected to be available to all Xbox One owners worldwide on March 4.