Nintendo devotees have patiently awaited for Club Nintendo to reveal this year's Gold and Platinum rewards, and the result is… a little anti-climactic. To bring you up to speed, Club Nintendo awards points to gamers who registers both physical and digital copies of games, as well as their hardware purchases. The more coins you accumulate, the higher the tier.
This year, the rewards for both Platinum and Gold members are a selection of digital titles. This isn't anything out of the ordinary since previous years have also offered similar rewards, though those usually only extended to Gold members, while Platinum tier was able to pick between a physical reward as well.
- Game & Wario – Wii U
- NES Remix – Wii U
- EarthBound (SNES) – Wii U
- Dr. Luigi – Wii U
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 3DS
- Fluidity Spin Cycle – 3DS
- Dillon's Rolling Western – 3DS
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move – 3DS
Gold and Platinum
- Ice Climber (NES) – Wii U
- Kid Icarus (NES) – Wii U
- Super Mario Bros. (NES) – Wii U
- Zelda II – The Adventure of Link (NES) – Wii U
- Donkey Kong 3 (NES) – 3DS
- Wario Land 2 (GB) – 3DS
- Metroid (NES) – 3DS
- Super Mario Land 2 (GB) – 3DS
Now let's compare these rewards with some of the Platinum rewards from previous years.
- 2009 – Doc Louis' Punch Out!! and Mario's Hat
- 2010 – Super Mario Characters Figurine
- 2011 – Mario and Friends Badge Set
- 2012 – Platinum Mario Playing Cards and Limited Edition Poster Set
- 2013 – The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Official Soundtrack and Three Poster Set
You can certainly see the quality go down over the years, until we've officially hit no physical rewards whatsoever. I guess the shipping costs really added up huh.