Gearbox has been making plenty of suggestions that they are working on Borderlands 3, but they haven't been too giving when it comes to details. Back in September of this year, Gearbox's Randy Pitchford teased that 90% of the studio is working on "the thing you want us to be working on," but didn't actually name the game. Prior to that, we got a look at a tech demo for the game and slight details.
Again, the studio isn't being very giving, they are just dropping some hints, teases, and suggestions which works well to keep interest and hype without making any promises.
A job listing on the Gearbox site (via PCGamesN / Gaf) might just be suggesting that the studio is looking for a writer to work on Borderlands 3. The listing doesn't outright say "We are searching for a writer to work on Borderlands 3," but it does include some specific features of the franchise.
Gearbox is looking for a writer to work on "an unannounced AAA FPS/RPG hybrid with strong characters and central narrative thread." Additionally, the writer should have a "love for comedy writing with respect for a serious underlying plot is helpful."
The Borderlands franchise is known for its humor and is an FPS/RPG – so the listing is pretty much saying it's for Borderlands 3, without saying it.
Check out the full post:
Gearbox is looking for someone to join the writing team for an unannounced AAA FPS/RPG hybrid with strong characters and central narrative thread.
The successful candidate will join the writing team to write, punch up and iterate scripts in-line with established story and plot outlines. Responsibilities will include writing dialogue for voice-over and in-game text for missions, flavor and user interfaces. A love for comedy writing with respect for a serious underlying plot is helpful. The ability to work with a team and to accept notes, criticism and the iterative process is a must.
- Strong ability to collaborate with other creative people from all disciplines (art, design and engineering).
- Demonstrable skill in writing entertaining and engaging dialogue with meaningful character interactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple threads of writing tasks under a reasonable deadline commitment with professional organizational and team work skills.
- Strong passion and demonstrable ability for comedic or satiric writing.
- Published work in video games, comic books, web-based material, TV, or film.
- Desire and ability to work with an experienced team of creative professionals.
- Must be local or willing to relocate to the North Dallas area (relocation assistance available for successful candidate).
When do you think Borderlands 3 will be revealed?