After Destiny 2 launched on PC, a number of players reported that they had been banned after using third-party applications that were not supported by Destiny 2. According to Bungie, no one should have been banned for this and they would be investigating the issue.
Once the reports of bans became big enough, Bungie released a statement. Their statement was composed of bullet-pointed facts on the Bungie site. The statement read as follows:
- Destiny 2 cannot automatically ban you, only Bungie can ban a player after a manual investigation
- Yesterday, we banned approximately 400 players on PC
- Bans were applied to players who were using tools that pose a threat to the shared ecosystem of the game
- We did not (and will not) issue any bans for the use of overlays or performance tools, including Discord, Xsplit, OBS, RTSS, etc.
- Information on using third-party applications can be found here: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101
- We are overturning 4 of the bans that were issued during the PC Beta
Following the post, Bungie began reviewing the bans and posted an update to their statement.
Update: As part of our ban review process, we have identified a group of players who were banned in error. Those players have been unbanned. The bans were not related to the third-party applications listed above. We will continue to review the process we use to ensure a fun and fair game.
So, there you have it.