Over the weekend — while we were being DDoS'd — a number of gamers were taking part in the Red Bull Battle Grounds Detroit, a tournament featuring Blizzard's real-time strategy game StarCraft II.
After three days of competition featuring more than 100 competitors, fan-favorite Choi "Polt" Seong Hun took top place.
"After 2nd place finishes at Red Bull Battle Grounds North America, and last month’s Red Bull Battle Grounds Atlanta in his own hometown, Polt at last brings home the win he’s been fighting for. In one of the most memorable match-ups of the weekend, Polt faced off against Kim “viOLet” Dong Hwan in the semi-finals, turning friends and roommates into match foes. As Polt took his hard-earned trophy after defeating Yun ‘TaeJa’ Young Seo in the final match series he thanked the crowd for their support, expressing that no one wanted that win more than himself," a recap of the event reads.
In winning the event, Seong Hun secured himself the final spot in the eight player line up at next month's Red Bull Battle Grounds Grand Finals in Washington, D.C. from September 20-21.
Here are your top eight players who will compete in next month's Grand Finals, the conclusion of a five-month, six-tournament circuit:
- Red Bull Battle Grounds 2013 Champion and runner-up, Lee Sak ‘PartinG’ Won
- and Kim ‘sOs’ Yoo Jin
- Red Bull Battle Grounds North America champion, Sasha ‘Scarlett’ Hosyn
- MLG Anaheim champion, Cho ‘Trap’ Sung Ho
- Red Bull Battle Grounds Global champion, Park ‘DongRaeGu’ Soo Ho
- Red Bull Battle Grounds Atlanta Champion, Choi ‘Bomber’ Ji Sung
- Red Bull Battle Grounds Online Champion, Kim ‘Cure’ Doh Wook