First Grand Theft Auto 5 details arrive, here are some key points
As many of you already know by now, the December 2012 issue of GameInformer released yesterday giving eager fans a chance uncover the first official details about Rockstar Games' highly-anticipated title Grand Theft Auto 5. The issue was filled with an in-depth, 18-page feature story describing many of GTA 5''s features, including the reveal of the game's three main playable characters and many other juicy details relating to gameplay.
Yesterday, we met the three main protagonists: Michael, Trevor, and Franklin. Throughout the game you'll be switching back and forth between this cast of three, experiencing their different stories and personalities. As Rockstar mentioned, the reasoning behind this decision has to do with allowing more opportunities for "both narrative and gameplay flexibility." It allows for a more "diverse style of lead protagonist" while also giving the player a chance to experience "more of the world more quickly off-mission."
But what about the other details? Surely, this article was filled with plenty of more information about the gameplay. And we have a lot of it for you below, summarized in bullet points. We've touched on a few key points mentioned in the full article.
- More vehicles in GTA 5 than in any other Grand Theft Auto game to date. Confirmed vehicles include: BMX bike, mountain bikes, road bikes, dirt bikes, tons of cars and trucks, helicopters, planes, ATVs, and Jet Skis.
- Each of the three characters have their own unique hobbies (one or two key minigame activities) that only they can participate in.
- No RPG-style player customization.
- "Entertainment inside the entertainment", like television parodies, is returning.
- There's TONS to do in the game aside from the story missions. GTA 5 expands on extracurricular activities with things like yoga, triathlons, Jet Skiing, base jumping, and a "full-fledged" golf game.
- No romance in the game, but each protagonist has his own set of friends to interact with when your not performing heists.
- Some familiar faces from GTA 4 and Episodes from Liberty City "may resurface", but don't expect any "major characters".
- You can't buy property, but there will be "loads" of other stuff to spend your money on both earlier in the game and after you've completed everything
- GTA 5 features dynamic missions that present you with scenarios you can choose to ignore or engage in. Expect muggers, hitchhikers, vans you can attack for quick money, etc.
- Sometimes the three protagonists work together on the missions. You'll have to switch back and forth depending on which part of the mission you feel like doing.
If you'd like more in-depth explanations on these key features, including Rockstar's Dan Houser's two-cents on the subject, I highly suggest you pick up the latest issue of GameInformer, now availabe in digital format.
Grand Theft Auto 5 is set to release in spring 2013 for Xbox 360 and PS3. The game is also available to pre-order from numerous retailers.