GameZone's 2012 Holiday Gift Guide: Blu-ray and DVD
I know there's people out there like my dad -- people that just want tons of Blu-ray movies for Christmas. Regardless of whatever holiday you celebrate this time of the year, a good movie is a present everyone can appreciate. There's a lot of movies that have recently released or are releasing before the holidays, both on Blu-ray and DVD, and here are some that gamers will enjoy.
- Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition [Blu-ray: $24.86] - The #1 Sci-Fi Film of all time marks it's return post 10 month moratorium with an all new 3-Disc Blu-ray/DVD and UV 30th Anniversary commemorative gift set. Revisit the illustrious Final Cut on Blu-ray, DVD and get a UV copy of the feature. Additionally, the gift set features an all new concept spinner car for your collection, action Lenticular and a 72 page art production book with never-before-seen Ridley sketches, poster art and photos from the set.
- Brave 3 Disc Collector's Edition [Blu-ray: $19.99] [DVD: $15.99] - Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse. Disney-Pixar's most recent release.
- Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season Collector's Edition [Blu-ray: $45.99-$69.99] [DVD: $34.96] - Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun. It will stretch from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues; to the vast and savage eastern lands; and all the way to the frozen north, where an 800-foot wall of ice protects the kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords, and honest men...all will play the Game of Thrones. This limited edition set offers Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy versions of the first season of the series and more. The collector’s box set is adorned with the sigils of the four main houses and comes with a premium dragon egg paperweight, a Blu-ray bonus disc of first episode of season two as well as all of the bonus materials and interactive features from the original DVD and Blu-ray releases.
Source: Shout! Factory/Saban Brands
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season 1, Vol. 1 [DVD: $15.98] - Revisit Jason, Zack, Kimberly, Billiy and Trini with 30 episodes on a 3-DVD set, and you can watch them and Zordon take on the evil sorceress Rita Repulsa and her minions. If you're a hardcore Power Rangers fan, the Power Rangers: From Mighty Morphin to Lost Galaxy set might be better. For $219.95, you get the first seven seasons (338 episodes across 40 DVDs) of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- Marvel Knights: Astonishing X-Men Unstoppable [DVD: $11.99] - Strap yourselves in! After the shocking and brain-smashing events of the previous three arcs (Gifted, Dangerous and Torn) the X-Men are off to protect the Earth from its destruction at the hands of the Breakworld. And when it’s all over, nothing will ever be the same! In this fourth and final arc of Astonishing X-Men, mastermind Joss Whedon and award-winning artist John Cassaday prove they are more than Astonishing: they are Unstoppable!
- Moonrise Kingdom [Blu-ray: $19.99] [DVD: $14.99] - A pair of young lovers flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out and find them. Written and directed by Wes Anderson. Stars Bruce Willis, Edward Norton and Bill Murray.
- Pixar Short Films Collection 2 [Blu-ray: $27.96] [DVD: $19.96] - Disney and Pixar present an incredible new collection of 12 short films, featuring multiple Academy Award nominees (best short film, animated: Presto, 2008; Day & Night, 2010; La Luna, 2011) and a host of family favorites. Join the celebration of imagination with this must-own collection, packed with unforgettable animation, fantastic stories, and captivating characters. Plus, enjoy all-new extras that share how Pixar's storied talent got their start - including student films from acclaimed directors John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, and Pete Docter.
- Prometheus [Blu-ray: $24.96] [DVD: $19.95] - A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race. Directed by Ridley Scott. Stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba and Guy Pearce.
- Savages [Blu-ray: $19.99] [DVD: $16.99] - Pot growers Ben and Chon face off against the Mexican drug cartel who kidnapped their shared girlfriend. Directed by Oliver Stone. Stars Blake Lively, Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Benicio Del Toro and Salma Hayek.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection [DVD: $88.86] - Experience the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle saga in this totally tubular 23-disc set of the original animated series, featuring all 10 seasons in one complete cowabunga collection.
- The Amazing Spider-Man [Blu-ray: $18.96] [DVD: $14.96] - Peter Parker finds a clue that might help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. His path puts him on a collision course with Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner. Directed by Marc Webb. Stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary and Martin Sheen.
- The Expendables 2 [Blu-ray: $17.99] [DVD: $12.99] - The cast of The Expendables, with newest members Billy the Kid (Hemsworth) and Maggie (Nan) aboard, are reunited when Mr. Church (Bruce Willis) enlists the Expendables to take on a seemingly simple job. The task looks like an easy paycheck for Barney and his band of old school mercenaries. But when things go wrong and one of their own is viciously killed, the Expendables are compelled to seek revenge in hostile territory where the odds are stacked against them.
Available November 27th
- ParaNorman [Blu-ray: $23.99-32.99] [DVD: $19.96] - From the makers of Coraline comes the story of Norman, a boy who must use his special powers to save his town from a centuries-old curse. In addition to spooky zombies, he'll also have to take on unpredictable ghosts, wily witches and, worst, of all, clueless grown-ups. But this young ghoul whisperer will soon find his paranormal activities pushed to their otherworldly limits. Featuring the voice talents of Kodi Smit-McPhee, Anna Kendrick, Casey Affleck, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Leslie Mann, Jeff Garlin and John Goodman, it's a frightfully funny tale for the whole family.
- Lawless [Blu-ray: $29.99] [DVD: $19.96] - Lawless is the true story of the infamous Bondurant Brothers: bootlegging siblings who made a run for the American Dream in Prohibition-era Virginia. In this epic gangster tale, inspired by true-life tales of author Matt Bondurant’s family in his novel “The Wettest County In The World,” the loyalty of three brothers is put to the test against the backdrop of the nation’s most notorious crime wave. Starring Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf, Guy Pearce and Jessica Chastain.
Available December 4th
- The Dark Knight Rises [Blu-ray: $24.96] [DVD: $14.96] - Eight years on, a new terrorist leader, Bane, overwhelms Gotham's finest, and the Dark Knight resurfaces to protect a city that has branded him an enemy. Directed by Christopher Nolan. Stars Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Marion Cotillard.
- The Dark Knight Trilogy [Blu-ray: $29.96] [DVD: $19.96] - Box set containing Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Trilogy. Contains Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.
- The Dark Knight Rises: Limited Edition Bat Cowl [Blu-ray: $24.96-35.99] [DVD: $14.96] - This combo pack comes with a Blu-ray, DVD and Ultraviolet version, but it also comes with a replica of the broken Bat Cowl from when Bane fights Batman for the first time.
- Finding Nemo 5-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition [Blu-ray: $33.86] [DVD: $17.18] - This 5-disc collector's edition comes with Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital copies of the movie. For the first time ever, through the magic of Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D, fully immerse yourself in the stunning underwater world of Disney/Pixar's FINDING NEMO! In the depths of the Great Barrier Reef, Marlin (Albert Brooks), an overly protective clownfish, embarks on a daring rescue mission when his beloved son, Nemo, gets scooped up by a diver. With his unforgettable friend Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) by his side, Marlin encounters an ocean full of memorable comedic characters on his momentous journey to find Nemo.
Available December 11th
- Ted [Blu-ray: $24.86] [DVD: $19.86] - Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane brings his boundary-pushing brand of humor to the big screen for the first time as writer, director and voice star of Ted. In the live action/CG-animated comedy, he tells the story of John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg), a grown man who must deal with the cherished teddy bear who came to life as the result of a childhood wish...and has refused to leave his side ever since.