Xbox One August update preview rolling out now
It appears as though the preview for the Xbox One August update is rolling out. That's according to several users on the Xbox One subreddit that have posted the download size (348MB to 351MB) along with their initial impressions.
"Activity feed looks much better, and allowing to 'like' items like video and where you would like to share them. Friends area is much better." - G23M
"New activity feed is nice." - GOPWN
Microsoft revealed the feature list for the August update last week. It's said to improve a number of social features to make sharing your gaming experiences "better and easier."
Here's a list of features rolling out in the next Xbox One system update:
- Activity feed updates: "We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You'll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates)."
- Expanded Friends area on Home: "Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market."
- Mobile purchase: "One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home - if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase."
- Low battery notification: "You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low."
- Disable notifications during video: "Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you."
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray: "An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One."
- OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: "Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section."
- Last seen time in Friends list: "Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, "Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”
Meanwhile, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer told gamers yesterday that Microsoft already has a list of features planned through October.