Xbox Live Update Adds Youtube and iHeartRadio Today
Following last week's Xbox 360 Dashboard Update, Microsoft has announced the release of twelve customized entertainment apps that are now available to Xbox LIVE Gold Members. Among the list of apps added today include video giant YouTube and radio aggregator iHeartRadio. The apps are currently rolling out now and may take a few hours to be available in all countries and regions.
As of today, the following apps will be made available to Xbox LIVE Gold Members:
- blinkbox (UK): blinkbox gives access to a wide range of movies online. With more than 10,000 movies titles movie fans can watch their favorite films immediately with no additional subscription required.
- iHeartRadio (U.S.): Listen to more than 800 of the nation’s most popular live broadcast radio stations from 150 U.S. cities with iHeartRadio.
- MSN Video (Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Mexico and UK): MSN brings you the latest breaking news, sports, celebrity gossip and more from around the globe.
- MSNBC.com (U.S.): MSNBC.com bring you the best of NBC News, MSNBC, Fox Sports, Access Hollywood, original programming and more, on-demand and up-to-date 24/7/365.
- MUZU.TV (Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and UK): MUZU.TV the music video site, offers nearly 80,000 music videos at your command. Brand new releases from the world’s biggest artists, great music videos from every decade, up and coming bands and the latest music news and interviews.
- Rogers On Demand (Canada): Rogers On Demand provides select TV shows and movies to everyone for FREE. Rogers customers can also catch up on their favorite premium programming anytime, from anywhere in Canada.
- SBS ON DEMAND (Australia): SBS ON DEMAND is a catch up TV service that lets you watch full episodes, of your favorite SBS television programs.
- TMZ (Canada, U.S.): Your all-access pass to the latest TMZ entertainment stories and breaking news videos everyone is talking about!
- RTVE (Spain): Complete episodes from series, news programs, documentaries and the best Spanish audiovisual content from RTVE.
- Verizon FiOS TV (U.S.): Get Verizon FiOS TV with 26 live channels like MTV, Spike, Food Network, Comedy Central, HBO, CNN and Nickelodeon – with more to come. Plus with Kinect, change channels with your voice.
- YouTube (Available in 24 countries globally**): From your favorite web original video to gaming tips, a universe of compelling content is available through YouTube on Xbox LIVE.
The apps added today are just the beginning Microsoft's plan to expand beyond a simple Xbox 360 gaming rig to an entire entertainment hub. In addition to these 12 new apps, Microsoft has plans to add dozens of partners and apps within the month leading into early 2012. Future apps and partners include MLB.TV, Xfinity On Demand, BBC, HBO GO, and many more.
Once again, these are all part of a larger vision from Microsoft to turn the Xbox 360 into a central entertainment hub that includes a gaming, video service, and web browsing all in one machine. Just yesterday, it was discovered that Microsoft was looking to hire a television executive to develop original shows.