[Watch] Evil Within 2 gameplay; Details on Weapon, Character Customization and Crafting
So ready to fail at sneaking.
Since Bethesda revealed The Evil Within 2 during E3 2017, we learned that players new to the series won't have to play through the first game to understand the sequel and got to see a few more of the horrors that await us in the game. Now, we are getting a few more details on how we'll be able to customize our main character, Sebastian.
“The world of The Evil Within 2 is full of possibilities,” said Game Director John Johanas in a Bethesda Blog post. “With some of the larger stages we’ve created, we’re opening Union up to the players’ wishes and unique playstyles. Through the layout of the world, as well as the crafting and customization systems in the game, we’re providing you with the freedom to take on the challenges in front of you however you choose.”
As far as customization goes, both Sebastian and gear customizations are a bit more flexible.
It has been detailed that Green Gel will no longer be required for the customization of Sebastion and weapons. Instead, the Gel will be limited to upgrading Sebastian and Weapon Parts will be the resource used to upgrade weapons. With handguns or shotguns, you'll be able to tweak your firepower, ammo capacity, reload time and fire rate.
When it comes to the Warden Crossbow, you can increase range, decrease aim time, and specify the type of bolts you like (Shock, Smoke, Harpoon and Explosive Bolts).
According to Bethesda, the upgrades for Sebastian include (but are not limited to):
- Health: Dropping some Green Gel in the Health tree will give you the chance to survive an attack that might have otherwise killed you. This is also how you increase Sebastian’s Life Gauge.
- Stealth: In addition to an increased movement speed while crouching, the Stealth tree can allow you to perform Sneak Kills from around a corner while in cover.
- Combat: If you’re building a more rough-and-tumble Sebastian, the Combat tree will help you increase the damage of your melee attacks and decrease the kickback when firing weapons, among other upgrades.
- Recovery: The Recovery tree is for players who know how tough surviving this nightmare is going to be for Sebastian. Upgrades here include an increased health recovery speed when regenerating from near-death status, and the chance to automatically use a Medical Syringe when taking fatal damage.
- Athleticism: For the Sebastian on the go, the Athleticism upgrade options will let you increase your Stamina Gauge and give you a chance to auto-avoid certain types of incoming attacks.
On top of all that customization, you will be able to craft the items you need the most.
“Our crafting system lets you craft ammunition for the weapons that you like,” says Johanas. “You don’t have to rely solely on what you can scrounge up in the world. Again, it’s that emphasis on letting people play how they want to play. But it all comes back around to how much you explore and how many resources you can track down.”
All of these options allow players to decide how they play. You can sneak around of face the horrors upfront.