Splatoon 2 Is getting a Companion App For Mobile
SplatNet 2 is coming.
There was another Nintendo Direct today, and this one focused on Splatoon 2. The biggest news to come from the Direct is the existence of a companion app. SplatNet 2 is a mobile service specifically for Splatoon 2 and will launch alongside the game on July 21. That's not it though, SplatNet 2 is just one part of a larger companion app called Nintendo Switch Online.
Nintendo hasn't given many details about Nintendo Switch Online, but it will launch to players for free later this year, but will later cost an annual fee of $19.99. It's unclear what the app will do as a whole, but we have learned what its subsidiary functions are for SplatNet 2.
SplatNet 2 allows players to keep track of different stage schedules, stats, ranking details and the amount of ink spilled over the course of individual matches. It will support in-game voice chat and allow players to make private lobbies for friends. As mentioned before, SplatNet 2 is part of the Nintendo Switch Online app.
Splatoon 2 launches July 21, along with Nintendo Switch Online with SplatNet 2. More details about the apps will be reported as they're revealed.
EDIT: NeoGaf user Javac has listed a few more features for SplatNet 2, listed below.
Just how fresh are you?
- In addition to online battle results, you can check out the weapons and gear that other Inklings you’ve played with have used. You can check out records for any weapons you’ve used or stages you’ve played on as well. It’ll come in handy when you want to analyse your strengths and weaknesses!
- And it’s not just stats for online matches; you can also check out which stages in Hero Mode you’ve cleared and how quickly you got through them! Make sure you show off your freshest records to your friends via social media!
- You might even get some special rewards based on how much ink you’ve sprayed in battles…
Find out what stages are coming up!
- Welcome to Annie’s ‘SplatNet Shop’
- The stages in Splatoon 2 change every two hours and you can view all upcoming online stages for the next 24 hours in advance.
- Annie is planning to open an online store called ‘SplatNet Shop’! When it does, you’ll be able to order gear using in-game money, and then pick up your purchases next time you play!
- The store is still getting ready for its grand opening at the moment, but should be available in a future update so check back soon!