Skyrim 1.4 update for PS3 'delivered' to Sony
After Skyrim update 1.4 was released on Steam for PC users last week, many PS3 and Xbox 360 users have been wondering when they would receive the update.
Well, we're here to tell you the much-awaited 1.4 update for Skyrim has already been delivered to Sony and Microsoft for certification. In fact, Bethesda informed fans yesterday that the patch was submitted last week.
"1.4 update was delivered to Sony and Microsoft last week. Once we know when they're going live, we'll let you know," Bethesda tweeted yesterday.
Many players, particularly the PS3 users, are hoping this update fill finally fix the continuous lag problems plaguing the PS3 version of the game.
According to the patch notes for the Skyrim 1.4 update on Steam, the new patch contains "long term play optimizations for memory and performance" on the PS3. In fact, Bethesda has already announced what the 1.4 update fixes in the final release notes. Below are the changes being made in the 1.4 update (changes impact all platforms unless noted otherwise).
- Skyrim launcher support for Skyrim Workshop (PC)
- General optimizations for memory and performance
- Fixed occasional issue with armor and clothing not displaying properly when placed on mannequins in player’s house (PS3)
- Long term play optimizations for memory and performance (PS3)
- Improved compiler optimization settings (PC)
- Memory optimizations related to scripting
- Fixed issue with dangling scripts not properly clearing from memory
- Fixed crashes related to pathing and AI
- Fixed crash in “Haemar’s Shame” if player had already completed “A Daedra’s Best Friend”
- Fixed rare crash with loading saved games
- Fixed issue with accented characters not displaying properly at the end of a line
- Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly
- Fixed issue where quests would incorrectly progress after reloading a save
- Fixed issues with placing and removing books from bookshelves in the player’s home
- Optimized bookshelf script in player-owned houses that would occasionally block other scripts from properly firing off
- Fixed issue where weapon racks and plaques would not work correctly in player’s house if player immediately visits their house before purchasing any upgrades
- Fixed issue where the player house in Windhelm would not clean up properly
- Fixed crash related to giant attacks and absorb spells
- Fixed issue with ash piles not cleaning up properly
- Fixed occasional issue where overwriting an existing save would fail
- Fixed memory crash with container menu
- Fixed infinite loop with bookshelves
- Fixed issue where transforming back to human from werewolf would occasionally fail
- Bows and daggers will display properly when placed on weapon racks
- Fixed occasional audio issue that would play sound effects louder than intended
- Fixed bug related to hitching between cell boundaries
- Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian
- Fixed issue where traps in Shalidor’s Maze would not work properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian versions
- The Unusual Gem that was inside the Thalmor Embassy is now accessible after finishing “Diplomatic Immunity”
- In “Breaching Security”, the quest token is no longer required to receive a fortune reading from Olava the Feeble
- Fixed issue where Galmar would not complete Joining the Stormcloaks properly if “Season Unending” was an active quest
- Fixed issue where starting “Season Unending” after finishing “Joining the Stormcloaks” would prevent “The Jagged Crown” from starting properly
- Fixed issue where progressing through “Message to Whiterun” while “Season Unending” was still open would block progression for both quests
- In “Arniel’s Endeavor”, fixed issue where a quest journal would trigger multiple times
- In “Forbidden Legend”, the amulet fragment can no longer disappear after player leaves a dungeon without taking it
- Fixed rare issue in “Forbidden Legend” where killing Mikrul Gauldurson while sneaking would make his corpse unaccessible
- In “The White Phial”, the phial can no longer disappear if player leaves dungeon without taking it
- “The White Phial” will now start properly if player already has a briar heart in their inventory
- Player can no longer get stuck in Misty Grove after completing “A Night to Remember”
- Fixed issue where leaving Riften during “A Chance Arrangement” would prevent quest from progressing
- In “Darkness Returns”, a door in Twilight Sepulcher will properly open if the player leaves the dungeon for an extended period of time before completing the quest
- In “Revealing the Unseen”, if the player leaves the Oculory for an extended period of time after placing the focusing crystal and returns, the quest will proceed correctly
- “Onmund’s Request” will now start properly if player has already found Enthir’s staff before receiving this quest
- Fixed instance where Tonilia would stop buying stolen items and also would not give Guild Leader Armor
- “Repairing the Phial” will start properly if player already has unmelting snow or mammoth tusk in their inventory
- Finding Pantea’s Flute before speaking with Pantea no longer prevents her quest from updating
- In “The Break of Dawn”, fixed rare instance where a quest object would spawn incorrectly on the Katariah during Hail Sithis
- Fixed rare issue in “The Mind of Madness” where player is unable to equip the Wabbajack
- Fixed issue in “Pieces of the Past” where Mehrunes Dagon’s Razor will not trigger properly if player leaves the cell for extended period of time before activating it
- “Blood’s Honor” will start properly if you visited and completed Driftshade and an extended period of time passes before starting the quest.
- Fixed rare issue where “Dampened Spirits” would not start properly
- Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first
- Fixed issue where killing guards in Cidhna Mine would block progression for “No One Escapes Cidhna Mine”
- Fixed numerous issues with “Blood on the Ice” not triggering properly
- In “Blood on the Ice”, Calixto can now be killed if player owns a house in Windhelm
- In “The Cure for Madness”, killing Cicero then resurrecting him no longer impedes quest progress
- Fixed rare issue in “To Kill an Empire” where an NPC would fail to die properly
- Clearing Knifepoint Ridge before starting “Boethiah’s Champion” no longer prevents quest from starting.
The fact that the 1.4 update was submitted last week and still going through the certification process is just further prove that Microsoft and Sony must change and shorten the approval process for game updates and patches - a goal that could be attained with the arrival of Minecraft on Xbox 360.
On the other hand, PC has no problems getting quick updates thanks to the quick approval process of Steam, which also saw the launch of the Skyrim Creation Kit and Steam Workshop today, as well as a brand new high-resolution texture pack.