No Man's Sky's first update is now officially out; here's what's included
Was the wait worth it?
A few days ago, we reported that after several months, No Man's Sky will be getting its first content update. Details were scarce at the time on what would be included but now we have all the details.
The new No Man's Sky update titled "The Foundation Update" will let people farm, create bases, buy massive freighters, and much much more. In addition to all these major new features, Hello Games also added a bunch of new gameplay changes and tweaks. The UI has been adjusted, motion blur has been added to give the feeling of speed, and some other minor tweaks. You can view some of the patch notes below.
- Claim your home planet by finding an uninhabited base and creating your own, fully bespoke outpost.
- Construct your homestead for shelter, using modular structures and decorations, replicated from resources gathered while exploring
- Recruit alien lifeforms to help research new technology. Farming, engineer, weapons and science specialists are hirable from Space Stations
- Use Terminus Teleporters in Space Stations to teleport to and from your base at will
- Expand your base with storage containers to stockpile precious resources and rare products
- Find an even more beautiful location and you can simply dismantle your previous homestead to refund all of the spent resources
- Cultivate biome dependent crops outdoors, or inside your base or Freighter using Hydroponic Labs
- Plants grow over time and offer a steady supply of resources to be harvested
- Hire a farming specialist to research and grow ten new plant types, and discover new resource elements
- Players can now build essential equipment in the field on-planet
- Place save points anywhere in the world, crucial for Survival mode
- Automated Harvesters gather resources from mineral deposits in your absence
- Waypoints can be placed and colour-coded to allow explorers to return to discoveries
- Communications Terminals allow explorers to leave sub-space messages for others to find
- Discover nearby mineral deposits, uninhabited bases or suit upgrades with the use of a Signal Scanner
For all of the remaining patch notes (and you'll want to see them), click here to go to Hello Games' official blog post. The update should be live on PS4 and PC right now.
Hello Games' Sean Murray broke his silence this morning to speak about the patch, making it sound like his life has been an absolute hell for the last few months.
If you could have lived our lives over the last months, you'd know how meaningful this is.— Sean Murray (@NoMansSky) November 27, 2016
Here's update 1.1https://t.co/4TelmFIgsK