Nintendo Switch 4.0 update brings eShop pre-orders/pre-loading and video capture
Just in time for Super Mario Odyssey!
Those who have a Nintendo Switch will probably agree that it's a great console. It has awesome games with a ton more on the way from big publishers, you're able to bring it with you just about everywhere, and it's very simple. One thing that has annoyed some people is the lack of eShop pre-ordering/pre-loading for highly anticipated games.
With Xbox One and PlayStation 4, you're able to pre-order and download just about every single game so you can play it the second it releases without having to worry about installs. It also saves you a trip to the store or having to wait for an Amazon package to be delivered! Sadly, Nintendo hasn't had a feature like this on the Switch but that all changes starting today.
With the brand new 4.0 system update, players will get a bunch of new changes and features downloaded to their Switch including the ability to pre-load games before launch if you've pre-ordered, video capture on select games, new profile pictures, and more.
We downloaded the update to see if Super Mario Odyssey was available to pre-order and download but it appears that it's not available quite yet. We looked through the store to see if there was anything for pre-order at all but it looks like it has yet to be added to any upcoming games. Hopefully, we'll see this change tomorrow or early next week so we can all pre-load Mario!
You can view a breakdown of what's included in the update from Nintendo down below.
Capture video on select games
- To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
- Up to maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
- As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
Transfer user and save data to another system
- To transfer, head to System Settings > Users > Transfer Your User and Save Data
Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
- A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
- This feature will be supported by future game releases
News channel updates
- The news feed has been updated with a new look.
- Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel's content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
Match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software's Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone's software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
- The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router's settings.
You can click here to view a step by step tutorial for how to transfer save data to another Nintendo Switch and you can view the video below to see how to capture video on your Switch!
Super Mario Odyssey drops exclusively for Nintendo Switch next week on October 27th, 2017.