Mass Effect: Andromeda workarounds for black screen, launch issues and stuck Ryder on Xbox One, PS4, PC
If you're having issues launching the early access trial for Mass Effect: Andromeda as part of the EA Access or Origin Access, there's probably a fix for you. In fact, EA has posted a workaround for a majority of known issues, across all platforms.
The workarounds will help anyone who has been having trouble launching the game, accessing the early access or have their main character locked in an unwanted place or position. In addition to these workarounds, there's also a fix for connectivity issues.
If you're having connection problems, makes sure these ports are open on your router (all platforms):
- TCP: 443, 17503, 17504, 10000-19999, 42210, 42130, 42230.
- UDP: 3659, 10000-19999.
These workarounds will be available until a patch releases for Mass Effect: Andromeda. The game releases next week on March 21.
As per EA:
Black screen on start-up or when alt-tabbing away and back (PC)
- Check to see if you have the Corsair Utility Engine installed on your system.
- If you do, try uninstalling it and then relaunching the game.
Alternatively, you can try pressing alt-enter to switch to windowed mode. Running the game in windowed mode or in borderless windowed mode makes alt-tabbing easier.
The game doesn’t launch, but it triggers a process in Task Manager (PC)
- Your firewall or antivirus may be blocking ActivationUI.exe which is needed to start the game for the first time.
- Add it (default location C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect Andromeda\core\ActivationUI.exe) to your firewall or antivirus whitelist and try launching the game again.
The game won’t launch at all (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Make sure the download is at least 42% complete, which is when you’ll see the ‘Ready to Play’ notification.
Ryder is stuck in an animation and won’t respond to commands (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Try switching between combat and exploration mode.
- Try jumping.
- Try opening and closing your scanner.
- If none of these work, try saving and restarting the game.
Ryder is stuck somewhere in the game and can’t get out (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Use fast travel to extract Ryder.
I turned on HDR and changed my display mode and now graphics look weird (PC with Radeon GPUs)
- Try alt-tabbing away from the game and back again.
- In your Radeon settings, try turning HDR off and back on again.
When it comes to connection issues, you need to remember the game uses peer-to-peer matchmaking. Multiplayer games are hosted on the machine and connection of one of the players in the lobby. Because of this, your connection to the host will matter.
I’m on Xbox and I’ve preordered. I have EA Access but I get a “too early” message when I try to play. What’s up? (Xbox One, EA Access Trial)
If you’ve got EA Access and have pre-loaded the game, you might get an error message when you try to launch it through My Games and Apps.
To fix this:
- Go to the EA Access Hub
- Choose Game Trials
- Select Mass Effect: Andromeda
- Choose Try Now
- Choose Free Trial
- If you’ve already downloaded the game, you should be able to launch your trial now.