Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Expansion Launches Today!
Today, Wizards of the Coast released Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Expansion. Available on Xbox LIVE Arcade, Playstation Network and Steam, the Expansion adds additional content and new features to the already successful game (which has already reached over 500,000 trial downloads on XBLA!) and is the newest feature in the “Ascend into Darkness” campaign for Magic. The Duels 2012 Expansion lets players experience the game in all-new ways including the ability to take on the role of the Archenemy. The launch also features new single-player and multiplayer campaign levels, new art and cards, new decks, new challenges and more.
The Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 Expansion includes the following new features:
- Three new playable decks
- Liliana Vess's "Grave Whispers" deck
- Ajani Goldmane's "Auramancer" deck
- Ral Zarek's "Cloudburst" deck
- Six exclusive sneak-preview cards from the upcoming Innistrad expansion
- Players can become the Archenemy in single-player and online multiplayer formats
- Six new single-player campaign levels and 11 Archenemy single-player campaign levels
- Four Archenemy challenges
- Four additional card unlocks for all 13 Duels 2012 decks
- New achievements on Xbox, Steam and PlayStation
- New loading screens featuring art and text exclusive to Duels 2012
At PAX, I had the opportunity to interview Magic: The Gathering’s brand manager, Paul Levy, to learn more about Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 expansion archenemy game mode. Watch the interview below:
I also had the opportunity to play it, and although I had never played Magic: The Gathering before, it was definitely a fun playthrough as the Archenemy. I managed to defeat two heroes (with the help of a developer), but failed to kill the third.