League of Legends Shyvana Abilities, Lore, and Looks Revealed
Last week, Riot Games teased the newest champion to enter League of Legends - Shyvana, the Half-Dragon. However, they took a different approach with the mechanics preview, focusing more on the skillset and character flow of Shyvana, rather than her actual abilities.
Today, they revealed her actual abilities, and boy does she sound fun. Shyvana is a melee champion that rewards player aggression, by utilizing a modified Fury mechanic (referred to as Dragon's Blood in the mechanics preview). Her Fury accrues anytime Shyvana lands an auto-attack. Once her Fury is full, she can unleash it to transform into a dragon, giving her substantial buffs, ability enhancements, and increased damange.
As you'll see below, Shyvana's abilities gain some bonuses when in Dragon Form.
- Shyvana strikes twice on her next attack. Both attacks trigger On-Hit effects and Fury of the Dragonborn effects.
- Dragon Form: Twin Bite cleaves all units in front of Shyvana.
- Shyvana deals magic damage per second to nearby enemies and her Movement Speed is greatly increased for 3 seconds. Shyvana's Movement Speed bonus is reduced over time.
- Dragon Form: Burnout scorches the earth, continuing to damage enemies that stand on it.
- Shyvana unleashes a fireball that deals magic damage and melts the target's Armor for 4 seconds.
- Dragon Form: Flame Breath engulfs all units in a cone in front of Shyvana.
Dragon's Descent (Ultimate)
- Active: Shyvana transforms into a dragon and takes flight to a target location. Enemies along her path take magic damage and are knocked toward her target location.
- Passive: Shyvana reinforces her scales, increasing her Armor and Magic Resist. Defensive bonuses are doubled in Dragon Form.
Fury of the Dragonborn (Passive)
Shyvana's melee attacks enhance her abilities.
- Twin Bite - Reduces the cooldown by 0.5 seconds.
- Burnout - Extends the duration by 1 second to a maximum of 6 seconds.
- Flame Breath - Deals 20% of the ability's damage to debuffed targets.
- Dragon's Descent - Attacks generate 2 Fury* and Shyvana passively gains Fury* over time while in human form.
- Shyvana's melee attacks enhance her abilities.
Riot was right when they said, "Sometimes, justice is vicious." Shyvana looks like she packs a punch and her abilities look pretty overpowered at first glance. But my feelings on her haven't changed. Buy some thornmail and she'll be easily taken care of - at least in human form; Dragon form just looks plain mean. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for her to build up enough Fury to transform. Seeing as how her ultimate doesn't have a cooldown I'd imagine it should take some time. Although, I can see this being pretty overpowered when she gets some attack speed.
As for her lore:
There are those few dragons in Runeterra who have mastered the intense magical energies that course through their unique anatomies, evolving into an elusive Celestial Dragon. These powerful and enigmatic creatures spend most of their time hidden away from the lands of men. However, there are those who find themselves drawn to civilization and who take on human forms to immerse themselves in the world of humans. Occasionally, one finds itself drawn to the spirit of a human and they have relations. Sometimes, in the slimmest of odds, the union will bear fruit and that offspring will be one of the few half-dragons to have graced Runeterra. Shyvana is one such creature, born to a simple Demacian farm-girl and her Celestial Dragon father. Left to be raised by her mother, her oddities were something that couldn't be hidden from her community, though she was protected by her family. Once her family had perished in disaster, she was left alone for the first time – truly alone. Shyvana quickly became an outsider and it wasn't long before the community's fear began to put her in danger. Facing mortal danger at the business end of an angry mob, she was rescued by the traveling noble, Jarvan Lightshield. The noble was a man who strangely knew exactly what she was and took her under his wing. It wasn't long before she was offered a chance to use her natural skills in the service of Demacia, as Jarvan initiated her as one of the elite guard. Following Jarvan into the League of Legends was only natural.
Shyvana is a fierce warrior, with the blood of one of the most powerful magical predators in all creation flowing through her veins. Unlike some of her fellows, she is a subdued personality – somber, cool, and collected. However, when the moment strikes, her draconian heritage manifests and there are few that can stare her in the eyes and not feel the primal urge to flee.
I'm a little surprised to see that Jarvan had rescued her and that she is actually a part of the elite guard in service of Demacia. Jarvan doesn't seem like the type that would allow a half-dragon in his army. But I guess justice doesn't always have to be shiny and noble.
Riot also released the first screenshots of Shyvana in-game. Overall, I'm not too impressed with how she looks. Her human form is pretty bland and her dragon form looks more like a scrawny, sick lizard. The jungle Dragon looks more intimidating than her.
What are your thoughts on the new champion? Also, be sure to check out the changes coming to League of Legends in Shyvana's patch.