Last week's PlayStation Vita software sales pitiful, only one game cracks Top 50
Following reports that the PlayStation Vita sold only 15,000 units in Japan last week, sales on software end don't appear to be fairing much better for the new handheld. Despite some impressive launch titles like Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Dynasty Warriors Next, only one PS Vita game cracked the Top 50 software sales for week 3, 2012.
According to Media Create, which tracks Japanese video game sales, no PlayStation Vita game made it into the Top 30 for the week of January 16th through the 22nd. The best selling game for the Vita, placing 31st in sales, was Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational. Unfortunately, Media Create doesn't share the exact numbers with games outside of the Top 20. In comparison, last week saw only three PS Vita titles in the entire Top 50, with Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational finishing 23rd in sales.
In other software sales, popular 3DS title Mario Kart 7 continued its impressive run, selling another 35,105 copies bringing its lifetime Japan sales to 1,404,728. Coming in at 2nd was new 3DS game Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure which sold 31,598 copies. Some other new editions to the Top 50 list were Onechanbara Z: Kagura, Heroes Phantasia, and Beyond the Labyrinth.
In total, the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii both had 12 games each in the Top 50. Next was the PSP with 10, and the PS3 with 9. Below is the full breakdown of the top 10 game sales for Week 3, 2012.
- Mario Kart 7 - 3DS - 35,105
- Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure - 3DS - 31,598
- Monster Hunter 3G - 3DS - 31,369
- Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS - 26,051
- Onechanbara Z: Kagura - Xbox 360 - 22,013
- Heroes Phantasia - PSP - 15,163
- Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark - 3DS - 14,190
- Beyond the Labyrinth - 3DS - 14,176
- Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God - PSP - 11,598
- Warriors Orochi 3 - PS3 - 10,690