Guild Wars 2 update makes 'significant' changes to dungeon rewards
When logging into Guild Wars 2 yesterday, you may have noticed a pretty lengthy patch. The update, which now has received a change-log, contained many fixes and changes, but the most notable one was a "significant update" to the dungeon reward system.
According to ArenaNet, all the of the changes to the reward system have been the result of an "original exploit which was letting players receive upwards of 20 levels by completing a single dungeon run."
"We initially closed this exploit, which caused some new problems," ArenaNet admitted. "The result is this new system which should increase dungeon rewards for players who play through them normally but help curb inflation rewards for those who are using exploitative methods to farm them."
Now on to the changes.
- Dungeon tokens are now rewarded at the end of an explorable chain. This was done to stop players from repeatedly entering a chain and farming the first boss that dropped tokens rather than playing the entire chain. At some point in the near future, we will make up for this by making dungeon tokens a rare drop so that even players who are not completing a chain can make partial progress toward the rewards.
- Dungeons reward 20 tokens for completion and now reward an additional 40 tokens for the first time they are completed each day. This means that if players can complete all 3 chains of a dungeon in a day, they’ll receive a total of 180 tokens, which is enough to purchase some of the smaller rewards.
- Dungeon tokens should be account bound. This will allow players to have a single character farm tokens for their other characters.
- Last week, to limit the most extreme cases of dungeon speed-clearing, we introduced a system to limit rewards for rapidly repeating dungeon clears. However, a bug in that system caused it to impact more players than intended. This week, we’re updating the system to not impact clearing different chains of the same dungeon. We’ll continue to evaluate this system in coming weeks.
You can view the rest of the changes below:
- Fixes to LOD on numerous objects in the world.
- Fixes to maps to prevent players from moving outside of the playable area.
- Fixed a bug that made pet footsteps excessively loud, especially in water.
- Fixed a bug with assists not working in keg brawl.
- Fixed numerous blocked events.
- Updated text and functionality when purchasing bank slots.
- Fixed loud sounds on portals to the Underworld in Godslost Swamp.
- Fixed several bugs that were preventing some skill challenges from resetting properly.
- All recipe items are now account bound. Many were previously soulbound.
- Updated Superior Rune of the Ogre Rock Dog so that it doesn’t summon when the player is underwater.
- Updated Sigil of Demon Summoning so that it doesn’t summon when the player is underwater.
- Summoned rock dogs and fleshreavers die when they enter water.
- Removed the lone 1 copper from city map completion rewards.
- Removed Mystic Forge recipes that were being used to reduce surplus supplies.
- Enemies in tutorial areas will no long drop loot. Instead, an award of 72 copper has been added to the rewards for completing the tutorial. This is to dissuade players from lingering in tutorial instances to farm the creatures in them.
- Obsidian Shards are now account bound.
- Box of Berserker’s Draconian Armor and Box of Rampager’s Draconian Armor now reward the proper items.
- Fixed various crash bugs.
- Added the rank 30-39 wolf finishing move.
- Fixed recipes for the Mystic Artifact, Mystic Barricade, and Mystic Trident.
- Fixed visible map completion percentage errors and the achievement not completing.
- Applied 10-second cooldown to Bowl of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup buff. This was done to keep elementalists from spamming condition removal with Signet of Restoration.
Black Lion Trading Company
- Added functionality and improvements to the Black Lion Chests, including a chance to receive new items like a permanent version of the Black Lion Trader Express.
- Black Lion Salvage Kits now properly display the correct percentages for rare materials.
- Adjusted difficulty for the following story steps: “A Fragile Peace,” “Breaking the Bone Ship,” “Killing Fields,” “Political Homicide,” “Sabotage,” “Set to Blow,” “Stand By Your Krewe,” “The Ringmaster,” “The Stone Sheath,” “Track the Seraph,” “Unscheduled Delay,” “Unwelcome Visitors,” and “Welcome Home.”
- Fixed bugs in the following story steps: “A Fragile Peace,” “Against the Corruption,” “Bad Blood,” “Forging the Pact,” “Stand By Your Krewe,” and “Tower Down.”
- Fixed exploits in “The Sound of Psi-Lance.”
End of Story Loot Bags:
- These have been improved to only give green or better gear of level 78 or higher.
- The number of bags received has been reduced from 5 to 3.
- More improvements will be made in coming weeks. Players who complete the story before the final update will be equally compensated once the new rewards are in.
- Updated vendors in the Ascalonian Catacombs and Caudecus’s Manor to sell level 80 versions of their unique skins rather than level 60 and 70. Players who purchased the level 60 and 70 versions will soon be given the opportunity to upgrade those to level 80 without having to use transmutation stones.
- Citadel of Flame
- Fixed an exploit in Magg’s chain that was allowing players to skip the entire dungeon and still be rewarded.
- In Magg’s chain, if Magg happens to die in the lava field, he’ll teleport himself to the start of the area just outside it.
- In Magg’s chain, Magg must be much closer to things to draw their initial aggro. This only affects the escort to the magmacyte rock.
- Caudecus’s Manor
- Fixed an exploit that was allowing players to skip content.
- Honor of the Waves
- Fixed a bug in the Butcher’s chain that prevented a boss from spawning.
- Fixed a blocking issue.
- Ascalonian Catacombs
- Fixed blocking bugs in Detha’s chain.
- Implemented a fix to make Heartseeker, Lightning Leap, Flame Leap, and Monarch’s Leap hit more reliably.
- Fixed bugs with Flamestrike and Ice Shards so they can’t be fired behind the player.
- Quick Glyphs: This Air Magic trait has been updated to apply 20% recharge reduction to the elite skill Glyph of Elementals.
- Grenade Barrage: This Grenade Kit skill should now be usable underwater.
- Short Fuse: This trait is no longer overwritten by the Grenadier trait. Also, this trait now works with underwater grenades.
- Speedy Kits: Added a 5-second recharge to the trigger for this trait. This was to prevent players from exploiting it to gain vigor buffs of extreme duration.
- Invigorating Speed: Added a 5-second recharge to the trigger for this trait. This was to prevent players from exploiting it to gain vigor buffs of extreme duration.
- Merciful Intervention: This skill has been updated to work with the Meditation Mastery trait. The tooltip for this skill has also been updated to display the healing amount when affected by traits.
- Elusive Power: This trait has been updated to not grant might when aegis was blocked.
- Fixed text on “readied” mantra buffs.
- Veil: This glamour skill has been updated to show the appropriate active duration when not affected by traits.
- Taste of Death: This skill’s healing fact has been updated.
- Spectral Wall: This skill has been updated to apply the correct amount of vulnerability (10).
- Vampiric: Fixed a bug with this trait so that it now functions with projectiles.
- Close to Death: This trait has been updated to provide its listed 20% boost instead of the previous (unlisted) 10% boost.
- Banshee’s Wail: This Curses trait has been updated to apply extra swiftness.
- Spectral Walk: This skill has been updated to be more active and to work properly with its recharge trait. Also, Sever Spectral Bond has been changed to Spectral Recall.
- Minion Master: This Death Magic trait has been updated to properly affect the elite skill Summon Flesh Golem.
- Putrid Mark: This skill has been fixed to make it properly unblockable with the Greater Marks trait.
- Mark of Evasion: This trait can now trigger the Soul Marks trait.
- Reaper’s Protection: This trait has been updated to properly work with a variety of crowd-control effects.
- Bountiful Theft: This strait has been fixed so that it doesn’t apply 15 seconds of vigor twice.
- Call Wurm: Autocasting has been removed from this skill to prevent an exploit. Additionally, the skill may now be cast on the move.
Player versus Player
- Legacy of the Foefire: Fixed an exploit that was allowing players to teleport past one of the gates.
World versus World
- Experimental Rifle: This item is no longer usable in World versus World.