GTA 5 leads all games in U.S. sales for 2013
This shouldn't come as much of a surprise, given its incredible start, but Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto 5 is the best-selling game of 2013.
As revealed by the latest NPD Group's report, “Grand Theft Auto 5 ranked as the top game in 2013 (based on units sold), and after four months of sales is within striking distance of surpassing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as the highest selling game within the Grand Theft Auto franchise.”
Released in September 2013, GTA 5 enjoyed the fastest-selling entertainment release in history, grossing over $800 million in retail sales during the first 24 hours after launch and over $1 billion in only three days. While we haven't heard updated worldwide sales figures, we recently learned GTA 5 surpassed 3.6 million copies sold in the U.K., making it the fourth biggest-selling game ever.
Grand Theft Auto 5's numbers are even more impressive when you take note of the fact that it was only released on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Though rumors of a PC version have been floating around since before it even launched, Rockstar has yet to officially announce anything. We're pretty sure it's coming though, and that'll only help boost its sales.
Below are the top games for 2013, based on new physical retail sales.
- Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, PC, NWU)
- Madden NFL 25 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO)
- Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, PC)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, NWU, PC)
- NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PC)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, NWU, PC)**
- Just Dance 2014 (WII, 360, NWU, XBO, PS3, PS4)**
- Minecraft (360)
- Disney Infinity (360, WII, PS3, NWU, 3DS) 10 Disney Interactive Studios