Like this author?

Follow this author, get more from this author. Ta-da!

Sign up now

Hide this X

news\

Eternal Darkness 2 demo is what sunk X-Men: Destiny

X-Men: Destiny Screenshot - X-Men: Destiny

An Eternal Darkness 2 pitch demo ultimately caused X-Men: Destiny to flop, according to a new report.

The game's lack of direction, issues with publisher Activision, and difficult management can be traced back to the demo, which allegedly distracted the team at Silicon Knights.

"[Silicon Knights] didn't take the development of X:MD seriously the entire time I was there," an anonymous former employee told Kotaku. "It seemed more like a job to get us by until ED 2 could be developed and sold to a publisher, which never happened."

Another source said "SK had about 60 percent of the development team working on XM:D and the other 40 percent working on ED 2," which caused staffing problems and marred the quality of the finished Destiny.

Silicon Knights earned the contract with Activision by "talking about Eternal Darkness endlessly," so what helped to green-light the X-Men project also crippled it.

The PlayStation 3 version holds the highest rating on Metacritic with a 50/100 score; other versions are hanging in the 40s and 30s.

Follow @wita on Twitter.

[Joystiq]

Gz-av-2
Stephanie Carmichael Twitter: @wita
Share with your friends
In this article

Games: X-Men: Destiny

Tags: Activision

Related Images
Article_list_open-uri20120312-6979-1icum16 Article_list_open-uri20120312-6979-pc7igq Article_list_open-uri20120312-6979-1opph5x Article_list_open-uri20120313-22731-1o3mjr Article_list_open-uri20120313-22731-1jwu62m See all images
blog comments powered by Disqus