Double Fine ventures back to Kickstarter to help fund Massive Chalice
Before Kickstarter was a viable funding operation for game developers, Double Fine decided to take a risk, and ask regular people, like you and me, to help fund their newest adventure title, without really showing off what it is. Turns out, people were willing to give a lot of money to Double Fine. Even though they asked for $400,000, the Kickstarter raised over $3 million.
It's no surprise then, given their massive success, that Double Fine would once again return to Kickstarter, and pitch us their new game, Massive Chalice. This new game will be a strategy/tactics hybrid, blending elements from X-Com, Final Fantasy Tactics, and even Fire Emblem.
Players will assume the role of an immortal King, who must defend his kingdom against a demonic invasion that's prophesized to last hundreds of years. The game will utilize the bloodline mechanic, allowing players to create generations of warriors.
Some of the other core game mechanics include:
- Your story emerges as you defend against attacks, complete quests, and respond to randomized events in your attempt to preserve the kingdom.
- Line of sight and fog of war mechanics come into play as your squad explores beautiful dynamic 3D battlefields where danger may lurk behind any corner.
- Distinct, customizable heroes learn new melee, ranged, and arcane abilities as they age and gain combat experience.
- Arrange marriage alliances to ensure your heroic bloodlines can handle any future combat situation.
- Battle alongside your ancestors by equipping your heroes with uniquely powerful Bloodline Relics.
- Invest your resources in forging new weapons and armor—and gamble on polluting a bloodline by researching dangerous demonic artifacts.
There you have it. For more information on Massive Chalice and to back this awesome idea, head on over to the Kickstarter page and show your support!