Darksiders 2 leads software sales for August
The numbers are in, and Darksiders 2 has placed first in video game software sales for August.
NPD, the US market research firm, has released sales figures for last month. THQ's Darksiders 2 came in first with 247,000 units sold, followed by Nintendo's New Super Mario Bros. 2 with 240,000.
Total sales declined 20 percent year-over-year, falling from $647.2M to $515.6M.
Here's a list of the top ten best-selling games for August 2012 (covering July 29 through August 25):
- Darksiders 2 (360, PS3, PC)**
- New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)**
- NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3)
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (360, PS3)
- Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)**
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)**
- The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, NDS, 3DS, Wii)
**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
According to Nintendo, sales of the 3DS increased 36 percent from July thanks to the release of the XL version, with software for the handheld selling 68 percent more.
Follow @wita on Twitter for tales of superheroes, plumbers in overalls, and literary adventures.