BioWare and Microsoft lead March sales
The NPD group has released its video game sales report for March 2012.
According to the research firm, total revenue has dropped 25% year-over-year, a negative difference of $0.37 billion.
Microsoft sat at the head of hardware sales with 371,000 units sold. “The Xbox 360 is the best-selling console system for the last 15, and the best-selling hardware platform overall for the past eight months," said analyst Anita Frazier. Sony and Nintendo have not shared their respective sales figures.
BioWare's Mass Effect 3 dominated the software charts despite recent controversy, beating out Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.
“Mass Effect 3 sold more than twice as much as did Mass Effect 2 during its introductory month in January 2010," said Frazier.
The top 10 games based on units sold for March are as follows:
- Mass Effect 3 (360, PS3, PC)**
- Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (360, PS3)**
- MLB 12: The Show (PS3, PSV) 3 Sony (Corp)
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, PS2)
- SSX 2012 (360, PS3)
- Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3, 360)
- Mario Party 9 (Wii)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja (360, PS3)
- Major League Baseball 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PSP, PC, PS2)
Although Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure placed 15th, its character pack SKUs all ranked among the top 10 accessories for March.
Follow @wita on Twitter for tales of superheroes, plumbers in overalls, and literary adventures.