Baseball returns to the PS3 with MLB.TV app
Baseball is returning to the PlayStation 3. After all, it's only fitting that a console that sports the best baseball game, *ahem* MLB The Show, also serves as one of the premiere platforms for watching its real-life counterpart. Which is why Sony has announced the return of MLB.TV on PS3.
Now available on PSN for customers in North America, the MLB.TV app gives you access to every out-of-market regular season game live in full HD, archived games, home and away broadcast feeds, and an array of interactive features to toy around with. Below are a few of the features, including a revamped user interface.
- High Quality HD Streaming – Speed detection technology gives users HD video access depending on available bandwidth.
- Enhanced Audio – In-game alternate audio selection allows users to overlay the home or away team’s broadcasters over the live video or use the “Park” option to include the ballpark’s natural sounds.
- Home and Away Feeds – Choose to watch either the home or away broadcast feed.
- Live Broadcast DVR Functionality – Use the live video overlay to pause and rewind live games or fast-forward to return to live game action.
- Quick-Access Stats – View player cards with full career stats, league leaders, and in-game stats.
- Event Navigation – Select in-game event types, such as home runs, hits or stolen bases, to show on a progression timeline and jump directly to the at bat where they happened.
- Season Archive – Watch games and relive great moments from earlier in the season.
- Scrollable Linescore – Go directly to any half-inning to watch only that portion of the game.
- MLB Scoreboard – Scrollable league-wide scoreboard for each day’s games in three modes: Pre-game with scheduled starting pitchers; Live with up-to-the-moment game status; and Post-game with final pitching decisions and archived feed selection.
- Favorite Team Selection – Pick a favorite team or teams to be featured first on the daily scoreboard.
- Calendar Schedule – Scroll through the entire 2013 Major League Baseball schedule in calendar format or the user-designated favorite team’s schedule.
Now for the exciting part: the price. MLB.TV Premium can be purchased for the entire 2013 MLB season for a one-time fee of $129.99, or broken up into monthly payments of $24.99 per month. It's really not that bad of a price, considering how many games you'll have access to. Of course, if you're a Marlins, Mets, or Cubs fans, you may be better off just disassociating yourself from baseball entirely for 2013.