CES 2013: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' app announced
At CES in Las Vegas, Paramount Pictures and Qualcomm Incorporated announced a Star Trek Into Darkness app based on the upcoming movie from J.J. Abrams. The app will use Gimbal context awareness technologies to deliver real world game experiences and exclusive content. What does that mean exactly? It means that with this app, fans can get movie-related materials by using their real-life surrounding to complete missions. The app will utilize an audio scan, geo-location recognition, and image recognition.
The press release cryptically said that during the second quarter of "the big game" -- which I'm assuming is the Super Bowl in February -- you can use the app to unlock the first of many surprises during the Star Trek Into Darkness tv-spot. Also, by visiting StarTrekMovie.com/CES, you can be one of the first to get the app and enter a sweepstakes for the chance to win a VIP trip to the U.S. premiere.
Some highlights and things you can do with the app are:
- An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching Star Trek Into Darkness content on TV and other media
- An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world
- A geofencing function for location-based experiences
- New Star Trek Into Darkness content, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users' mobile devices
- Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users
- One lucky sweepstakes winner will be rewarded with the grand prize of attending the Star Trek Into Darkness U.S. premiere
This is a clever marketing technique and a good way to get fans to interact with your product and media, but I'm weary of apps that use geofencing. I don't want Paramount and all of these companies knowing where I am and what I'm taking pictures of. I realize this sounds like I'm doing something dirty, like taking pictures of barn animal sex, but I'm not. It's a clever idea and I'll try it, but I'm just going to be a little cautious.
The Star Trek Into Darkness app will release at the end of January. Star Trek Into Darkness opens in theaters everywhere May 17, 2013.