Eight months later, PlayStation Vita sales hit 790,000 in Japan
Sony's PlayStation Vita, which many once expected to dominate the handheld gaming market, has sold 790,633 units in Japan alone.
After its release in Japan in December 2011, Vita sales got off to a relatively slow start compared to the hype it had prior to launch. It's now been available in Japan for nearly eight months, but according to Sony, sales of the system have been boosted by the release of a new color and major titles like Persona 4 The Golden.
Famitsu also listed the top 10 best-selling Vita games in Japan so far, totaling less than one million units overall. Below is the full list with the units sold to date.
- Persona 4 The Golden (188,782)
- Hot Shots Golf 6 (118,985)
- Uncharted Golden Abyss (89,390)
- Gravity Daze/Rush (74,785)
- Dynasty Warriors Next (74,718)
- Tales of Innocence R (71,463)
- Lord of Apocalypse (69,162)
- Ragnarok Odyssey (65,318)
- Gundam Seed Battle Destiny (55,527)
- Disgaea 3 Return (54,902)
Sony Computer Entertainment reps claim that sales are in line with previous expectations, though previous reports suggest that Sony shipped as many as 700,000 Vitas for the launch alone. North American PlayStation Vita sales haven't yet been revealed, though Sony announced that 1.2 million units were sold worldwide as of February.